Wednesday, March 31, 2010

BaBa - Beaded Journal Project, March

After our recent trip to Tucson African Village, the vendors inspired me to make this pendant. We were bartering for beads with a vendor who was watching a stall. He did not know the prices and kept screaming "BaBa". We found out later that BaBa meant brother. We bought the beads but BaBa never showed up. I made my own BaBa. The face is of polymer clay. The color of beads represent African mudcloth. BaBa's hair is made of black seed beads with small brass rings on the end. BaBa hangs from an Ndebele rope.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is so special, and I love your polymer clay faces -- can tell they are originals, not from molds. That what I try to achieve as well with my faces. It's beautiful!

Jody said...

Oh I love it, very unique.
Thanks for sharing

Crazy Mama said...

i REALLY like this one a lot! it makes a bold statement.

Cyndi L said...

What a great story! I always end up treasuring the pieces with stories attached the most :-)

Penny said...

He's wonderful!!

Bobbi Ann said...

Hi, This is just fantastic! Wow...I love this piece!
I hope that you have a wonderful rest of your evening and a very Happy Easter!
Hugs and happy beading...
Bobbi

Gypsy said...

I love this- perfectly captures the feel of Africa. And what a happy bunny on top of your blog!

Kali said...

What a fabulous piece! She's so lovely and comfortable in her beaded glory. I didn't know Tucson had an African Village -- I guess it must be knew since I left in 2005.

Robin said...

I'm so glad I came to your blog today and scrolled back through past posts... I missed this one previoiusly. Happy to find it today because I LOVE it!!!! The ethnic/African flair, the beaded mudcloth, BaBa's name...it's all fantastic! I saved the picture in my BJP favorites file!